Monday, November 7, 2016

The First RBG Tea Festival


Last Saturday, I wen to the Royal Botanical Garden's First Tea Festival

The Tea Festival had 25 vendors and drew large crowds (who knew that Hamilton had so many tea lovers?). The tea sampling and presentations were so much fun!

Taiwanese Tea Ceremony: Osmanthus Black Tea
Madeline Chang from Bon Tea Place led the Taiwanese Tea Ceremony. It was an interactive presentation and the attendees were encouraged to "receive" the teas prepared by the 10 trainees.
 
Taiwanese Tea Ceremony: Autumn - Pai Mu Dan Organic Tea
The white teaware and tea represented the autumn season.

Taiwanese Tea Ceremony: Winter - Young Pu-Erh Tea
The black teaware and tea represented the winter season.

Taiwanese Tea Ceremony: Spring - Bi Luo Chun Tea
The green teaware and tea represented the spring season.

Taiwanese Tea Ceremony: Summer - Oolong Oriental Beauty
The red teaware represented the summer season. 
The oolong tea had a fruity taste and was my favourite among the seasonal teas.

Taiwanese Tea Ceremony by the Children
The 5 remaining tea ceremonies were performed by children (the youngest was only 4!). 
They were all so cute!
Left: Jasmine Pearl
Middle: Dong Ding Oolong
Right: Ti Kuan Ying

Taiwanese Tea Ceremony by the Children
 Top: Toffee Pu-Erh (this was smooth and yummy!)
Bottom: Jasmine Green Tea

I also heard interesting talks about  "Tea's Journey Around the World" and tea blogging.
Left: Linda Gaylard (aka the Tea Stylist)
Right: T.J. Williamson from World Tea Podcast is the only blogger (to date) who blogs via podcasts.

Mistletoe Chai by The Monarch Tea Co.
The owner, Katie, also offered a fun session on the art of pairing tea with food where we had the opportunity to sample Walker's meltaway milk chocolate with Cream Earl Grey tea. YUM!!!

This collection of cups for tea leaf readings spans over a century.
The Art of Tea and Tasseomancy owner, Amy, also did a neat presentation on the history and practice of tea leaf readings.

Kevin Kong's Wellness Centre offered samples of this Pu-Erh that was produced in 2007.
Kevin also presented on "Chinese Tea and Tea Health".

Tea and sugar cookies with an Earl Grey glaze were served at the book launch of "Tea-Inspiration: Inspiration Words for Tea Lovers" by Lu Ann who blogs at The Cup of Life. Naturally, I had to support a fellow Canadian blogger and bought an autographed copy of the book. The pocket-sized book would make a great stocking stuffer!

 Of course, a tea festival wouldn't be complete without some tea pretties!

 
Top left: Royal Rose Chai by The Chai Palace
Top right: Black Scotch Tea by World Tea Podcast
Bottom: Cream Earl Grey (left) and and Strawberry Tea (right) by Blue Mountain Tea Company

 I think this was an oolong by the Bon Tea Place?

Top: Darjeeling Jungpana by Camellia Sinensis
Bottom: Fruity (herbal?) tea samples from Steeped Tea (left) and Tea-ara (right)

The most interesting and unique tea that I sampled was this Tangerine Pu-Erh. 
The 8-year-old Pu-Erh tea was stored inside a tangerine and processed for over 30 hours! I'm not a huge fan of Pu-Erh, but this one had a nice mild citrus flavour.
 
Left: Iced green tea by Drink Empower
Right: Organic Raspberry Lemon Kombucha by Booch

The freebies that I scored.

 
I'm starting to get into the Yule spirit so I brought home: 
Mistletoe Chai by The Monarch Tea Co; 
Nutracker Tea and Candy Cane Organic by The Travelling Tea Room

I hope that the RBG will host another tea festival next year!


I'm joining the following parties this week:

13 comments:

  1. I love tea, my daytime drink is Earl Grey, what an interesting festival xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looked interesting, good samples and nice teas you brought home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Margie, another fun event for you to attend! I would so love to be your companion on these outings. You sure scored some great freebies, and tried such interesting teas. Your flavors for Christmas time that you bought, sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, what fun you must have had, Margie! This was no doubt an amazing tea experience for you. I love all the little tea sets representing each season. Would love to try the Nutcracker tea! You are blessed, girl, to attend so many lovely tea outings. Thanks for sharing. It was fun reading.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the freebies you got, Margie! I am a tea lover and I thoroughly enjoyed your post and lovely photos. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to make it to the tea festival Margie! It looks like you were in a little piece of tea heaven there ;) I've always felt that nothing quite goes so well with chocolate as a good cup of tea, and Earl Grey sounds like a great pairing. Your new festive teas sound delicious! Merry Christmas hohoho!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know to mich about teas, but the ones I have tasted have been always to strong in taste. So I tend to stick with my plain ole Lipton or sometimes I able to find a earl grey thats decaf..and i use a celestal tea in the evenings a vanilla chamomile.. And now their blueberry i like. But I would love to have gone to something like this sounds interesting. I can't believe a little four year old how sweet.. Thank you for sharing. Have a lovely day with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great event! A tea festival sounds so lovely. I enjoy a bit of dark chocolate and tea - they go together so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this great event. I have always wanted to attend one. Maybe one day! Thanks for sharing. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margie, what a fun day! I am in serious need of a tea outing of some sort. And soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing the tea festival. I think they are very educational. It is wonderful to see the various types of tea and learning more. Thanks for sharing Margie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Margie,
    Your tea day sounds like such fun and educational. You always do the neatest things. Have a Wonderful Weekend! Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit and leave a comment!